Sunday, April 25, 2010

Grilled Steak

It is finally spring in Nebraska and the grill is out! One of the things I love most about the place I live and the "Good Life" as we call it, is that we have amazing steak. I'm talking about farm raised, corn fed beef. It was a typical Sunday afternoon for me, spent at the grocery store relaxing and picking out what I needed for the week. Shoot, that sounds pretty lame, huh? I swear I am super fun and that Saturday night before, I totally went out all night (yeah, right). But I really do love going to the grocery store and my friends have told me they do too! Maybe our love of the grocery store stems back to the years spent in the sorority when our food was prepared for us by a lovely little lady who just happened to cook for the army before us. Not quite the person you would expect to cook for 100+ girls, most of whom are waistline conscious. Needless to say, I love the fact that I now shop for my own food and cook my own meals just how I want to!

Well, as I made my way to the back of the grocery store, there was a teaser stand set up with a woman grilling some steaks that were on special that week. After tasting her delicious fare, I knew that I would be firing up the grill and seasoning some meat for myself.

I didn't want to go too overboard with my seasoning, so I just stuck with a simple seasoning salt on both sides and let the coals do the rest. I knew that with my Midwestern steak on the grill, there was nothing to be worried about. It was my first time using this grill and I wasn't sure exactly how hot it would be or where the best place on the set up would be to cook the sirloin so I kept a close eye on my dinner. I was hoping for a nice pink medium rare and although I ended up with a medium finish, it was still absolutely scrumptious and hit the spot on that cool spring evening!

1 comment:

  1. Yummm girl! Last weekend in Foco I told a group of college guys (who seemed like pups) that I was from Nebraska and the only thing they asked me after that was, "SO DO YOU EAT STEAK?" Wow. Clever. I would totally eat this steak, Miss Haskell. Delish.

    ReplyDelete