Monday, September 13, 2010

Sauteed Bok Choy and Broccoli


I got this recipe out of one of my most favorite cookbooks, a gift from my dear friend Courtney. It is an Everyday Food cookbook from Martha Stewart. The best thing about these cookbooks (there are several of them, I recommend buying them all!) is that there is a picture for EVERY recipe! I know pictures shouldn't be the reason you try a new recipe, but honestly, they sure to make looking for something new to try a lot more fun.

This veggie combo makes a great side dish and goes with just about anything. Pair it with chicken or tofu for a delish oriental twist.

As adapted from "Everyday Food" pg. 249

Ingredients:
1 head bok choy
1 bag frozen broccoli or 1 fresh head of broccoli
1 cup chopped mushrooms (I took liberty in adding this, but what the heck, I had some on hand)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger (I didn't have any, so I didn't use any, but I'm sure it's great with it)
1 to 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Red Pepper Flakes (not in the original recipe, but I like a little spice)

Instructions:
1. Wash and pat dry bok choy, chop the greens
2. Heat oil, soy sauce, red pepper flakes and garlic on medium
3. Add bok choy and broccoli
4. Cover and cook, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes
5. Press the ginger in a sieve over the skillet to release its juices. Stir and serve.

Enjoy!

1 comment: