I have to say, this rice was one of the most delicious side dishes I have made to-date! It had such wonderful flavor, it will definitely become a regular at my table. I was so enthused to make this dish and I am so glad that it turned out ever so yummy-in-my-tummy.
I would suggest this rice with just about any main meal, but think it goes especially well with fish. It would also be great alongside some chicken lettuce wraps or tofu. I first discovered this recipe from a coworker who suggested one very similar. Then, I found a recipe on allrecipes.com for coconut lime rice and made a few changes for substitutions that I had. I did not have basmati rice on hand, but my kasmati worked just as well. I also do not keep coconut oil in stock but canola did the trick! I also used low-fat coconut milk instead of full-fat and the flavor was superb.
If you are looking for an easy summer twist on rice I highly recommend this coconut lime rice!
1 cup basmati/kasmati rice
1 tablespoon coconut/canola oil
1 teaspoon butter
1/4 cup flaked coconut
1 cup low-fat coconut milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 lime, zested and juiced
salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse rice until the water runs clear; drain.
2. Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir rice and coconut flakes for 3 to 4 minutes. I may have cooked my rice a little too long because it got a little browned, but in the end I think it just added more flavor!
3. Stir in the lime juice, then add the coconut milk, chicken broth, salt and lime zest.
4. Bring to a low boil, then cover and reduce heat to low.
5. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove from heat and keep covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and season with pepper.