Sunday, May 22, 2011

Carrot and Sweet Potato Mash - Giada

As I settled into onto my couch after an exhausting yoga class yesterday I popped on over to the Food Network for a little of my favorite relaxation pastime - finding new things to cook. And Giada did not disappoint. I watched one episode and then raced to the grocery store. I had a mission, a list  and a hungry belly.

Ok, this post will be in a few different parts so I can adequately describe all of the components of this dish. Up first, the mash.

Seriously, so good. I have never been a huge fan of cooked carrots, but mashed with some sweet potatoes (ps. obsessed with sweet potatoes) garlic and onion, how could I not love these cooked carrots? This is a great substitute for mashed potatoes and gives you tons and tons of vitamins for a healthy day!

Ingredients:
4 to 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 large white onion, peeled and chopped
3 garlic cloves
4 cups chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste





Instructions:
1. In a large pot, cook the carrots and onions in about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil for about 5 minutes on medium heat, be careful not to burn the onions
2. Add the sweet potato and garlic cloves
3. Pour in your chicken broth. You could use water instead but the chicken broth gives the mash a hearty flavor
4. Season with salt (I use sea salt) and pepper
5. Let cook for about 25 minutes to half an hour. Pierce a carrot and sweet potato with a fork and if it goes through easily, remove from heat
6. Remove about 3/4 of the broth and with either a hand blender or a food processor, mash up your mixture

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment