Sunday, May 22, 2011

Wheat Berry Salad - a la Giada



As I continue through my Giada episode journey, I am introduced to an ingredient I have never used, wheat berries. What a fantastic little berry! They are high in fiber, low in calories and packed with vitamins. If you haven't already, you need to go out and buy some and experiment. I purchased a bag of Bob's Red Mill and they were great.

This salad is so healthy and delicious. The flavors of the chewy wheatberries, crisp and sweet strawberries and hearty cheese mix so well together that I am going to have to speed up this blog post so I can eat some for lunch!!

Ingredients:
1. 1 cup wheatberries
2. 2 cups water
3. 1 cup chicken broth
4. A bunch of strawberries cut in fourths
5. an ounce of goat cheese ( I didn't have any on hand so I used a block of Laughing Cow Swiss and it was creamy and delicious)
6. Fresh chopped mint



Dressing Ingredients:
1. Juice of 1 orange
2. Zest of 1 orange
3. A tablespoon or so of EVOO
4. Salt and pepper

Instructions:
1. Boil wheatberries for about 25 minutes or until they are chewy and al dente. Note: they will NOT soak up all of the liquid and that's OK!!
2. Drain the berries and let them cool
3. Mix up the dressing
4. crumble the cheese or but it in little pieces
5. Combine all of the ingredients and enjoy!!

Easy, right? Gosh, I love fast and easy recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment