Sunday, April 15, 2012

Grilled Salmon and Asparagus

Don't you just love when the sun rises earlier, sets later and the buds on the trees start to open? Spring is here, drink it in folks! Last weekend was Easter weekend and my mom was down south in Tennessee visiting my grandparents and aunts so my dad and I were on our own. I was able to leave work a little early on Friday after our director told us all to take off at 3 and enjoy the holiday weekend. Don't you just love surprises like that?

I knew my dad hadn't been eating incredibly well that week since mom was gone. She made a couple pies before she left (dad's favorites - chicken pot pie and steak & kidney...I know, it's an acquired taste, one I don't have) so he could ration that out. But, by the time I got home, he said he just couldn't bring himself to finish the last bit of pie, he was all pied out. Upon hearing that, I immediately put a menu plan into action. The weather was gorgeous and I love my parent's grill. Obvious choice, grilled fresh salmon and asparagus with rice!

I know a lot of people go all out marinading their salmon for hours or putting on a flavorful spice rub, but honestly, I like my salmon best flavored only with cracked fresh pepper, sea salt and Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Yep, that's it. That goes for the asparagus and rice, as well. You may be thinking, come on, Sarah, spice up your life a little bit. But let me tell you, by adding only a few added ingredients, the true organic flavor of your fish and veggies can really come through. It's how they were meant to be eaten, you can truly taste what you are eating...and it's oh so good :)

Serves 2
Ingredients:
2 fresh salmon steaks
1 bunch fresh asparagus
Instant brown rice
Extra virgin olive oil
Cracked pepper and sea salt to taste

Instructions
1. Heat your grill to medium low
2. Rinse the asparagus and trim the white ends off
3. Rub the salmon steaks with EVOO, sprinkle salt and pepper on each side
4. Put the asparagus in a large bowl, add about 2 swirls of EVOO around the bowl and salt and pepper to taste
5. Once the grill is heated (about 5-10 min) add the asparagus, but wait on the salmon. Asparagus will take longer to cook. Check on the veggies after 10 minutes, turn them to make sure all sides are being grilled.
6. Put the salmon on the grill. I like my salmon cooked medium rare, which is about 3-4 minutes on each side.
7. Grab everything off the grill and check out all of the awesome colors on your plate - what a balanced and perfect spring meal!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment