Sunday, April 15, 2012

Shredded Chicken Burritos

Sometimes when I'm trying to think of something to cook I go to my old standbys and I seem to be stuck in a rut. Then, I remind myself how much I love cooking and that all I need to do is get a little creative and throw some things together and add a little spice - voila! A new and delicious dinner! I took a lot of inspiration for this dish from other dishes I love. A Chipotle burrito bowl, a summer veggie salad, a pico salsa. Once you make the main part of this dish you can add it to all kinds of study starches, which I will show you later when I added it to pasta! Put it on top of a salad, mix it with quinoa, and then, of course you can stuff some hard shell or soft shell taco shells. Add some cheese or hot sauce and watch your dish come alive!

Serves 4
Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded (add a pinch of salt to the boiling water)
1 lime, freshly squeezed
1/2 tablespoon EVOO
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green or yellow bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 can black beans, drained
1/2 tablespoon cumin
Salt to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste

Instructions:
1. Boil the chicken in the salted water and shred once it is cooked through
2. Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium. Add the shredded chicken, cumin, salt, red pepper flakes, lime juice and black beans.
3. Cook the mixture for about 4 minutes until everything is heated through.
4. Toss the diced bell peppers into the skillet just to warm them up
5. Pour out chicken burrito mixture into a bowl and top with chopped cilantro


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment