Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Turkey and Grilled Cheese Sandwich

One of the simple pleasures in life; A grilled cheese sandwich. It sounds so simple in its namesake, but there are so many ingredients and flavors you can add to make it complex in its taste. I like to experiment with such additions and last night I really felt like putting together a dreamy grilled cheese. The farmer's market has begun and I went down early Saturday morning with my friend Heidi to sample the local fare. While there, I came upon the stand of one of my favorite bakeries, Great Harvest Bread Company. Oh how I love their baked goods. The best feature of Great Harvest is that they let you sample the breads of the day! After a long day of bike riding, my brother and I like to stop at a Great Harvest and get a giant slab of bread lathered in butter and honey to quiet our growling stomachs. 

I knew that I had to use my honey whole wheat Great Harvest bread for my perfect grilled cheese sandwich. Sometimes, I think I am a little lactose-intolerant (you may be wondering at this point why the heck I am making a grilled cheese, I know.) Well, since I am self-diagnosed (again, weird) I figure as long as I don't drink a lot of milk (I opt for chocolate soy) eat a ton of yogurt or overdo the cheese intake I should be good, right? Anyway, on this certain occasion I decided to try a new kind of cheese on my sandwich. 

"Have you laughed today?" You have probably heard that cute blonde woman on tv ask you this very question daily since the creation of the Laughing Cow cheese. I am here to tell you, I have laughed today and I enjoyed every giggle following. Using a slice of the Laughing Cow cheese spread on this sandwich along with some sliced deli turkey, red pepper flakes, sauteed mushrooms and a small fistful of shredded Colby Jack cheese made this ordinary weeknight grilled cheese sandwich extraordinary!

Enjoy!

Ingredients:

2 thin slices of bread (I used a thick honey whole wheat bakery bread)
2 oz sliced deli turkey meat
1 slice Laughing Cow cheese
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
Shredded Colby Jack cheese (to taste)
Pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Butter for the bread (I actually used I can't Believe it's not Butter spray butter)

Instructions:

1. Saute your mushrooms in the EVOO in a medium sized saucepan. Remove from pan when finished.
2. Spread the Laughing Cow cheese on one slice of bread. Butter the other side. Lay the buttered side down in the pan you used for your mushrooms.
3. Place the mushrooms on top of the bread in the pan, then add the turkey, Colby Jack cheese and red pepper flakes.
4. After the first side is browned, flip the sandwich to get the other side.
5. Wait until cheese is gooey and bread is browned, then take a bite and be ready for an explosion of yummy delicious cheesy goodness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment