Self website and came across this little hottie recipe that I simply could not pass up. It was extremely easy to make and even kept well for leftovers at work!
I think the kicker that really sets this apart is the homemade sauce. It has this rich, smoky but sweet flavor that sticks with you...just not on your things, which is always a plus ;)
Ingredients: Serves 4
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 large shallots, sliced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
2 jars (12 oz each) roasted red peppers, drained
1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (juice of 1 orange)
2 medium eggplants, cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices
olive oil cooking spray
4 oz goat cheese
kalamata olives, pitted and minced (use as many as you like, I did about 8)
1 teaspoon capers, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
For the sauce
1. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook shallots and garlic until soft, about 1 minute. Reduce heat. Cook until golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add peppers and juice; bring to a boil.
3. Lower heat; simmer until peppers are soft, about 5 minutes. Cool.
4. Puree in a blender. Pour into a 9" x 13" baking dish.
For the eggplant
1. Coat eggpants with cooking spray and broil on a baking sheet until golden on both sides, about 15 minutes.
2. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
For the filling
1. Mash cheese, olives, capers and 1 tsp of the parsley into a bowl.
2. Place 1 tablespoon of the filling a the end of each eggplant slice; roll up. Lay seem side down in dish.
3. Bake 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Top with remaining parsley
Enjoy and feel good about it!!