Sunday, February 27, 2011

Red Velvet Ruffle Cake

Ok friends, seriously now, how good does this cake look? I have been dying to try this frosting technique after a friend sent me this to-die-for picture of a pink ruffle cake made for a 5 year-old's princess birthday party. If I were that little girl, I think I would have squealed, screamed and jumped up and down, as I'm sure this special little princess did.

Instead of making my ruffle cake for a delightful little darling, I made mine for my wonderful coworkers. Really, I just like to give them sugar to keep everyone on a high throughout the day ;)



This cake is so fun and elegant and red velvet, please....you can do no wrong with that choice, use this frosting technique for any occasion and wow everyone. I have also included an easy how-to video,  courtesy of sweetandsaucyshop to help you get started!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups AP flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
2 oz red food coloring

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Butter and flour two 8 inch cake pans
3. Lightly whisk eggs in a bowl. Add remaining liquid ingredients and stir with whisk until mixed well.
4. Place all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and combine really well.
5. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on medium-high for about a minute, or until completely combined.
6. Pour cake mix into both pans and drop the pans on the counter a few times to release air bubbles.
7. Bake for approx. 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Let cakes slightly cool, then, remove them from the pans, cover in plastic wrap and place on a wire rack to cool completely.

Frosting:
I used store-bought cream cheese frosting for this cake, and honestly, no one even knew!

Have so much fun making this cake!! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment