Sunday, February 27, 2011
Red Velvet Ruffle Cake
Instead of making my ruffle cake for a delightful little darling, I made mine for my wonderful coworkers. Really, I just like to give them sugar to keep everyone on a high throughout the day ;)
This cake is so fun and elegant and red velvet, please....you can do no wrong with that choice, use this frosting technique for any occasion and wow everyone. I have also included an easy how-to video, courtesy of sweetandsaucyshop to help you get started!
2 1/2 cups AP flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
2 oz red food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Butter and flour two 8 inch cake pans
3. Lightly whisk eggs in a bowl. Add remaining liquid ingredients and stir with whisk until mixed well.
4. Place all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and combine really well.
5. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on medium-high for about a minute, or until completely combined.
6. Pour cake mix into both pans and drop the pans on the counter a few times to release air bubbles.
7. Bake for approx. 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
I used store-bought cream cheese frosting for this cake, and honestly, no one even knew!
Have so much fun making this cake!! Enjoy!