Thursday, March 22, 2012

Banana Nut Quinoa Pancakes

I have been making a concentrated effort to go to bed early and wake up to make it down to the gym in the morning. You can ask any of my friends and family and they will all tell you the same story, Sarah, although friendly, outgoing and known for being "Little Miss Sunshine" is not a morning person. She needs her sleep, doesn't like getting up early and must have coffee. My parents nicknamed me "The Bear" because they were afraid to enter my lair when I was younger out of fear for the oncoming Bear Attack! I was like a wild animal, you never knew what was going to happen.

Well, not a whole lot has changed since those days. I still require coffee in the morning - thank goodness I invested in an espresso maker, I couldn't go back to regular coffee after drinking such rich and strong espresso in Sweden. I still don't like being woken up in the morning and I still require a lot of sleep. But, I have learned to adjust and if I get to bed at a decent time, I am usually able to get up and squeeze in a 45 minute workout.

Yesterday was just such a day and although I sliced my knee open at work the day before and can't really bend it very well, I needed to get it working a little bit. Just walking for 10 minutes on the treadmill was enough for the old knee before it started aching and I definitely didn't want to over do it. But...I was able to read my Self mag, which I don't always get done, so I didn't mind the slow pace! I was getting pretty hungry while walking my little booty off and what luck, I found a breakfast recipe and I had all of the ingredients! One thing with becoming gluten-free that I have been pining after is pancakes. Oh, pancakes. I used to love experimenting with my favorite base pancake recipe and adding all kinds of things - ricotta, berries, marmalades, jams and spices.

On that fine morning, Self gave me pancake hope! Although they were delicious and totally hit the spot after my treadmill walk followed by core and arm strength training workout, I think I will adjust a few things next time. Until then, may I present to you, Quinoa Banana-Nut Pancakes!

Ingredients: (as adapted from Self magazine)
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
2 egg whites
1/4 cup milk ( I used vanilla rice milk)
1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon (my addition!)
sliced banana

Instructions:
1. Whisk the quinoa, egg whites, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and 1/4 of the sliced banana together.
2. Coat a medium skillet with cooking spray and pour the batter - should make 1 large pancake or 3 small pancakes.
3. Cook over medium-high, flipping once, until firm. About 3 minutes on each side.
4. I topped my pancake with more sliced bananas and maple syrup. Hmmmmm hmmmmm yum.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment