Thursday, March 22, 2012
Kale and Quinoa Saute
I made a big batch of quinoa this weekend and have been using it in almost every meal this week. It's amazing how incredibly versatile quinoa is. You can seriously use it when making breakfast, like pancakes; lunch, like this salad or a protein and veggie rich dinner like this Kale and Quinoa Saute. Kale is a veggie that we are seeing everywhere right now, and I suggest you jump on the bandwagon and head to your nearest grocer and grab yo'self some kale! It is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K and vitamin C. Combine all of that goodness with a complete protein like quinoa and an egg and dang - you've got a great healthy and filling dinner.
2/3 cup quinoa (uncooked)
1 1/3 cup water
2 cups Kale - or a big bunch, the more the better!
1/2 tablespoon EVOO
1 large egg
salt and pepper
1. In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and water and a pinch of salt to boiling. Cover, lower heat and simmer for 12 minutes.
2. Heat a large skillet to medium and add kale, EVOO and 2 tablespoons of water
3. Once kale has begun to wilt, add cooked quinoa, salt and pepper
4. In another skillet coated in cooking spray, fry egg. I like mine over easy, your choice :)
5. Transfer quinoa and kale saute to a plate and plop that delicious egg on top.