Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Quinoa Chocolate Cupcakes

Here is a special treat for all of you gluten-free goddesses out there....chocolate cupcakes! These treats are something that I really missed after going gluten-free and I am so excited to have found this delicious recipe from an awesome blog you should all check out, Muffin Tin Mania


I was surprised at the texture of these cupcakes and how moist and chocolatey they were. I honestly think they taste just as good as normal chocolate cupcakes. I plan on using this base recipe to make other flavors of cupcakes. I made a mean pineapple coconut a couple of weeks ago and I think the quinoa base would be perfect for those. Another plus of these GF cupcakes is that the base is quinoa, which is one of few complete proteins. So....even though there is sugar, butter and oil on the ingredient list, these are basically a health food, right? Ha! Well, maybe not quite, but I also did go ahead and add some ground golden flax to up your Omega 3, protein and fiber intake! Next time I make these, I am planning on subbing the oil for applesauce and I think that should keep them just as moist as before, but cut some of the cals!


And because I couldn't resist, I added my standard frosting that I get requests by the bag full from friends...Bailey's Cream Cheese Frosting. Oh yeah, get it.


Ingredients: (as adapted from Muffin Tin Mania)

2/3 cup beige quinoa (uncooked)
1/3 cup low-fat milk (I used rice milk)
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coffee extract (I brewed 1/2 cup of dark roast espresso)
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted and cooled
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup palm or other raw style sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground golden flax

Instructions:
1. In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and 1 1/3 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 12 minutes, or until water has absorbed. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine milk, eggs, vanilla, peanut butter and coffee extract in a blender and process until mixed. Add cooked quinoa, oil and butter and blend until smooth.
3. Whisk together sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and flax in a large bowl. Add wet ingredients to bowl and mix until everything is moist. Divide batter in a 12 piece muffin tin that you have coated with cooking spray.
4. Bake for 22 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Let cool before taking out of the tin.


Bailey's Cream Cheese Frosting
1. 8 oz cream cheese
2. 4 cups powdered sugar
3. 4 oz unsalted butter, softened
4. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5. 1/3 cup Bailey's or another Irish Cream Liquer


Mix it up until smooth!


Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment